Wednesday, October 13, 2010

For a while I thought you were a robot.

Another week, another episode of Glee.

This week the theme was duets (or as Brittany so eloquently defined them, blankets). In my honest opinion most of the duets were quite bad. Though Rachel and Finn's Grease 2 performance dressed as religious persons and singing about being born again was a highlight even if it was meant to offend. And, while I still do not think Mercedes' and Santana's voices blend all that well, their number together this week was a great improvement over their song with Puck from last season. My favorite performance of the night easily goes to the mashup at the end with Rachel and Kurt. There was something about how their voices meshed in this number that just made me smile along with them.

And now to the dreaded Glee plot...

Luckily there wasn't much going on. Not that there ever is. Puck disappeared (for an undertermined amount of time) after driving his mom's volvo into a bank and driving away with the ATM. Really?!? If I cared at all, then I would have been googling the actor and finding out if he was still on the show or not... But, I don't and so I didn't. I'm sure someone else did and I'll find out by tomorrow as it is. With Puck out of the picture, Schuester seems to have convinced Sam, the new blond boy, to join glee club.

Basically there was a duet competition that pitted everyone against everyone else for the coveted prize of dinner for two at Breadsticks (was this the place that Finn took Santana and Brittany last season?). Rachel decided that the only way to win Nationals was to make sure Sam stayed in glee club. To achieve this, she made the sacrifice of letting him win the duet competition. (This is where the great Grease, Grease 2 conversation came in! And she is wrong, some of the songs from Grease 2 are classics!) The first step in operation make Sam a star was to stop him from singing with Kurt.

Ok, let's take an aside --> Glee season 2 seems to be suffering from the problem that I can best describe as the Glee phenomenon. Last year, people became obsessed with this little show that could. This year, the writers of said show believe they can do no wrong. They are mistaken. They seem to be taking what some loved most about this show and overemphasizing these aspects, creating an unbalanced mess. True, in the first half of last season everyone was pleading for more of the ensemble characters. And, it is great that Kurt and his dad seem to be the main plot of the season (though I'm starting to think it is going to get old no matter how much my heart aches every time there is a scene between these two). But, there was no need to force us to watch Mike Chang attempt to sing. Or even push a relationship between Tina and Mike just to give them something to do (because that is what it is starting to feel like). It is awesome that more people are getting a chance to shine on this show, but at least make sure the quality of the product doesn't diminish in the process. I'd gladly add 5 Lea Michele numbers to my iTunes playlist every week, than the current songs the show is producing.

And the rant is behind us... moving on:

Kurt, after talking with his Dad, graciously bows out of singing with Sam. And, instead Kurt sings with himself (a form of vocal masturbation according to Santana, with whom I agree). The number wasn't bad, but the tassel on Kurt's right side kept annoying me. (I'm picky... That is something I already know about myself.) Santana and Brittany appeared to be having a fling in Puck's absence, but Santana chose to sing with Mercedes in order to win the competition. (Did she forget how awesome Brittany is post-Britney Spears hallucinations?) Without her first choice of partner, Brittany spotted Artie. Even if she once believed he was a robot, she had no qualms duetting and bedding him. (Why were we not treated to at least a rehearsal scene of their duet?!? We did establish how awesome Brittany is two weeks ago, and we already know that Artie nails his vocal numbers!) Instead, we were allowed to witness the singing premiere of Mike Chang. Tina convinced Mike to duet with her so that they could go out on a normal date (one that does not include his mother or dim sum). Sam ended up singing with Quinn and it was bland, but good enough to will the competition. Sam claims to be straight and uses lemon to bleach his hair in order to be cool post-his time at an all-male boarding school. Oh, and he and Quinn are apparently dating now.

Yup... that's what happened this week on Glee!

Oh and the saddest moment of the episode was the cut to Brittany trying to do the Lady and the Tramp scene without a partner.

The Inner Mind of Dramawiz

No comments: