Well we finally got some plot on Glee.
This week the theme was belief. Finn made a grilled cheesus and after it granted his wish of a win in the first game of the year, he dedicated his music to it for the rest of the week. In glee club, Finn announced that everyone should sing songs on that theme, which led to Sue stepping in with a separation of church and state speech that I totally agreed with. She kindly remarked that if the students wanted to sing about religion, then they could, but not at a public school.
The real action surrounded Kurt. His father had a heart attack and was in the hospital, his condition unknown. When all the glee clubbers wanted to pray for him and his father, Kurt announced that he does not believe in G-d, and how could he since what g-d would make him live through a life of torment for being born gay. Sue reiterated that same argument when she told Emma that it was wrong for the students to be trying to convince Kurt that there is a g-d, since it is one that would never accept him and would instead condemn him for his lifestyle.
Each song, with the exception of Puck's song at the beginning of the episode, was emotional. I'm going to have to get a copy of them and rewatch those scenes. For instance, Rachel sang Papa Can You Hear Me? While no one can compare to Barbra Streisand, I did enjoy this cover. I still think Lea tries to hard to emulate the original singer of all her songs, but with this one it felt more like an homage to a great. I also liked that she started the song outside, though I wish it had not moved into the hospital. Why were the glee clubbers at Kurt's dad's bedside? This made little sense to me, and the throwaway line about how they were each a different denomination and so together they had a better chance of being right was just odd. I had already made peace with the odd fact that Will and Emma took Kurt to the hospital, instead of calling a relative or Finn's mom to take him. But, this vigil was just too much.
Kurt's rendition of I Want To Hold Your Hand was the most touching moment of Glee to date. I'd put it up there for best scene along with Kurt's dad shouting out Finn last season. (And no, it doesn't surprise me that all my favorite Glee seasons center around Kurt.) And the flashbacks! That kid got some of Chris Colfer's facial expressions dead on. And the smirk he gave during the tea party was adorable... This was easily my favorite song of the night. And the lower notes in the song were just icing on the cake.
But, the scenes that had me tearing up were Sue and her sister and then Kurt with his dad at the end. Both of these actors deserve Emmys, just in general. They are holding this show up week after week.
Maybe I read too many spoilers and let the hype build up a bit too much, but the church scene was a let down to me. It was great in theory, but it seems to have fallen short. I liked the Bridge Over Troubled Water, but it was less moving than the Clay Aiken version from a few years back. And, I just didn't buy it. Kurt, with his current beliefs, would not have gone to church with Mercedes and once there his attitude would not have shifted after less than five minutes. And, perhaps most outrageously, who addresses the church as 'church'... that was just odd.
Best joke of the night, and there were far fewer laugh out loud moments than normal: Brittany giving Kurt the paper she wrote on heart attack's so the doctor can read up on them.
So, these were my initial thoughts. Anyone have something to add? Feel free to leave a comment below.
The Inner Mind of Dramawiz
No comments:
Post a Comment