Sunday, October 3, 2010

So I Finally Got Around to Watching Chuck.

As of this morning my Hulu Queue (what word has two 'ue's in it? i mean, seriously?!?) held 12 episodes from 6 different shows. This listing included the first two episodes of this season on Chuck.

Now, don't get me wrong, I really like this show. But, I never have a drive to watch it. It's one of those shows that I like when I am watching, but don't look forward to it each week.

Do I need to give spoiler warnings on this blog? Can't it just be assumed that each post about a show or movie will contain them? SPOILERS BELOW!!!

I know my thoughts are random, but bear with me...

So... This season of Chuck started off with a flashback where Chuck's mom was introduced. Awesome. Then the throwaway line about how this isn't the beginning of a TV episode. Um, ok. That would have been funny on a show like Community, which spends full episodes referencing TV and movie plots, but it just made me shake my head on Chuck. I think the writers were trying to hard with that one.

Moving on.

I clearly do not remember where Chuck left off at the end of last season. Though, I am pretty sure I saw the finale episode. Must have somehow related to his mom though, because her presence is all-over this episode. We get it, she is mysterious and important somehow.

Regardless of the complex plot points, the acting of this show is what makes the episodes so entertaining. Morgan is great. No matter what the character is up to, he has this way of stealing the scene. And how can anyone dislike Adam Baldwin? Firefly. Genius. ('nuf said) But while I don't hate Chuck and Sarah, I don't think they are all that great either. Zachary Levi in Tangled is gonna be awesome cause he sings, but as Chuck he doesn't sing... why doesn't Chuck sing? All shows would be better if the actors sang every once and a while. Trust me on this.

Back to the plot.

Ok, where did Chuck get all those watches from? I could have sworn his father was killed last season... And that there was a huge fight over the only watch that could regulate the Intersect. Thus, where did he get three watches from, that we are supposed to assume regulate the Intersect.

Oooh this is awesome. Beckman is now the manager of the Buy More!!! Best new plot line so far. I was actually worried how the Buy More would be integrated into the new season given that it was destroyed last season. Now it is the CIA/NSA headquarters. AWESOME!

The main problem with this show is that the episode arcs are quite bad. This repo man is horrible... As is the creepy blond guy, no clue who he is but he is bad.

So Sarah would barely react to thinking Chuck was killed? And Chuck can fight off 10 guards in like 3 seconds without a problem now?

Oh, and Chuck's sister was barely in this episode... and they made her character pregnant? Captain Awesome is one of the best characters on this show and he was nowhere to be found :(

This was really not a good episode. I'm starting to think this may be a good show to let go of. Anyone else still watch it? I fear that it has become too Alias-like, but the worse aspects of that great show (everyone knows Chuck is a spy, Chuck's dad was a spy, Chuck's mom is mysterious and likely KGB or a spy, Chuck's friends end up doing spy-like stuff, and Chuck gets with his handler).

Well this is one episode down on my Hulu queue... I'll leave the second episode of the season for another day as this one barely held my attention. It's a sad day for dramas on TV. But a bright time for comedies.

No comments: